Subject: need cooling expertise and advice - thanks
By: raius (IP: 205.225.248.*)
Written on: 22-11-2005 22:44
hi all. i'm putting together a new system with low noise as high priority. i need to decide on the best upgrades to the cooling system while maintaining its quietness. any help would be fantastic. thanks.
* case: Antec Sonata II
* mobo: ASUS P5WD2 (955x chipset)
* cpu: P4 650 (3.4ghz 2mb L2 -- 65C max temp)
* gpu: ASUS EN6800GT gpu
* ram: 2gb DDR2 w/spreaders
* Front-bottom (no fan)
* Rear-bottom (Sonata II air duct in bottom rear, brings cool air just above the cpu)
* Rear-middle (120mm quiet fan)
* Rear-top (PSU quiet fan)
Current Temp (steady avg)
* mobo: 35 C
* cpu: 60 C
Problems to Resolve
1. If air duct pulls in air for the CPU, what are my best choices for CPU cooling? what heatsink/fan combo?
2. the GPU stock fan is the loudest thing in the box. what options do i have to improve this?
3. (lower priority) what temps should i reach before i can attempt to overclock about 5-10%? (it doesnt currently hold overclocking cause temp is too close to top).
once again thank you for all the help in the world. i appreciate your time and expertise. please shoot me an email with the reply or just a one liner letting me know you posted here...